Genuine extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is “first cold press” which means that heat was not used when extracting the oil. This is particularly important because heat destroys antioxidants so cold pressed is a good thing!
Extra virgin olive oil is the highest quality and most expensive olive oil classification. It is important to distinguish between authentic extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin olive oil that is available in most grocery stores.
Authentic EVOO tastes very different from a typical supermarket brand. A few flavor notes include floral, grassy, sweet, robust, herbaceous.
How to Know our Olive Oil is the Best
- Our producers run out of olive oil. We often can’t buy any oil by spring. (So, they are not mixing their fabulous oil to make it last longer).
- We visit Italy often and we have very close relationships with our producers and other importers. Our very high quality producers work with each other and trust each other to sell the best.
- We obtain lab reports for the oils we direct import and we review items such as free fatty acid levels, peroxides, UV K232, polyphenols, and the sensory analysis.
- You can also reference Tom Mueller’s web site, Guide to Great Olive Oils (Italy), where most of our olive oils are also referenced.
||Notes of grass and hay
||Banana, almond notes
||Spicy, peppery, bitter, assertive
||Notes of herbs, salad leaves
Start with these Great Olive Oils
Olivaggio IGP Toscano Organic
- Classic robust Tuscan with spicy, bitter, and peppery notes
Quattrociocchi Olivastro Organic
- From Lazio, the region of Rome
- Notes of herbs, lush flavor
Frantoi Cutrera Primo DOP and Primo Double
- Lush grassy notes with elements of tomato leaf, a favorite
Many of our customers appreciate extra virgin olive oil, not only for its great taste but, also for its health benefits. Regarded as a superfood, olives contain natural disease-fighting polyphenols, antioxidant vitamin E, oleic acid, and monounsaturated fat. Additionally, olive oil contains hydroxytyrosol, a chemical that receives the most attention and study for cardiac and anti-inflammation benefits. It has been suggested that olive oil is not only good for heart protection but, also for cancer protection.
At olio2go, we work directly with more than 70 producers from all twenty regions of Italy, who take great care with their small batch productions and most produce a limited supply of authentic extra virgin olive oil.
olio2go has been in business since 2000 and is the leading online retailer of authentic Italian extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and other gourmet Italian specialty food. Our mission is to find the very best olive oils produced in Italy and offer these for sale to the public.