Sàgona Moraiolo Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2020 (500 ml)

SKU SAG-003
Your Price $39.95
  • Bottle Size:500 ml.
  • Certification:Organic
  • Harvest: 2020
  • Region:Tuscany
  • Tasting Notes: fruity aromas of fresh, unripe olive fruit and tomato leaves
  • Rating: 95
  • PronunciationSAH-go-nah

description

Gambero Rosso Tre Foglie 2021

Gambero Rosso Special Award 2021 Best Organic

Riconoscimento Merum Selezione Olio 2021

From terraces high on Pratomagno mountain, above the east banks of the Arno in Tuscany, we introduce Sàgona from the tiny estate of the same name. At Sàgona, 100-year-old olive trees are cultivated organically by Daniele Corrotti. A Sàgona la terra commanda. At Sàgona, nature is in charge.

From 1800 olive trees, Daniele will make 1500-1800 liters of oil this year. This is truly a boutique selection. Each bottle bears a work of art created on site at Sàgona during an artist-in-residence project conceived to provide a series of images for labels. These special labels represent the people and the work that goes into creating Sàgona’s oil, the spirit of Sàgona.

Daniele Corrotti farms mountain-side terraces held up with dry stone walls that were built generations ago by the farmers of Pratomagno. These are the ancestors of Sàgona who planted the terraces with the vineyards and olive groves that are still being farmed today.

Sàgona monocultivar Moraiolo brings forth intense aromas of olive fruit and spice, and the warm black pepper tones harmonize with a compelling bitterness. This powerful single variety olive oil is like a low bass note. It is idea paired with meat, beans, greens, cheese, and crudite. Pour a generous drizzle onto heavy soups and even pair the strength of Moraiolo with chocolate!

What is the history of the name, Sàgona?
The spot at the junction of two mountain torrents is called Sàgona. It is an ancient Etrtuscan name, and the farming community at Sàgona pre-dates the arrival of the Romans. Later at Sàgona there was an ancient Roman temple dedicated to the sacred waters. On that same sacred site, in the 1400s, they built a small stone chapel dedicated to St. Lucy, patron saint of vision and light.

The accompanying photo shows the front label.


Please Wait...
processing